Road Traffic Offences

Road Traffic Charges We Can Defend

  • Speeding
  • Driving Whilst Using a Mobile Phone
  • Driving Without a License
  • Driving Without Insurance
  • Driving Whilst Unfit to Drive
  • Drink and Drug Driving
  • Section 172 (Failing to Provide Driver's Details)
  • Dangerous and Careless Driving
  • Death by Dangerous Driving
  • Other Offences


What is speeding?

You will have been deemed to have been speeding if you have been caught driving over the prescribed speed limit on a road. We can represent you if you have been caught speeding on any Scottish Road.

What will happen if I am caught speeding?

There are two primary ways in which you can be caught speeding: by a speed camera, or by police officers. If you are caught speeding by a speed camera, you will be sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution (a "NIP"), and you will be sent a Section 172 Notice. The former is an indication by the Crown that they intend to bring a case against you charging you with speeding. The latter is a notice served under section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 requiring that you notify the police of who was driving the car at the time at which the alleged speeding took place.

It is absolutely crucial that you do not ignore a section 172 notice; it is a criminal offence to do so. This is the only time when you are required by law to answer a question asked by the police or by the procurator fiscal other than when you are asked about your name, date of birth, and address.

Once you have completed this section 172 notice and have returned it, you will thereafter be sent a fixed penalty notice if you were the person driving the car. If you weren't driving the car, this will be sent to the person who was.

If instead you are stopped by police officers, you will either be given a warning, issued with a fixed penalty notice, or notified that you will be required to attend court at a later date. The details of this hearing will be sent to you in the post.

What will happen if I am convicted of speeding?

If you are caught speeding and plead guilty or are found guilty, penalty points will be added to your license and you will be ordered to pay a fine. It is possible that you will be allowed to attend a speed awareness course to avoid having points put on your license, however this is not always available.

If you have been charged with speeding or have been given a fixed penalty, contact our road traffic solicitors today for your best chance at keeping your license.

Drink and Drug Driving

Drink driving is driving a motor vehicle whilst having more than the permitted level of alcohol in your system. This limit is currently 22 micrograms per 100ml of blood. Drug driving is driving a motor vehicle whilst having more than the prescribed limit of a particular drug in your system. The limit for each drug varies and, consequently, if you are unsure what the limit is or whether or not you were over the limit, contact our road traffic solicitors and we will be able to examine the evidence in your case.

The consequences of being caught driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs can be very serious, and often go beyond a simple court-imposed sentence. It is common for those charged the drink driving to lose their jobs if the ability to drive is a requirement of employment, and repeat offenders risk having their car reposessed. As the stakes are so high, it is important to instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf and prepare the best defence possible. Our road traffic solicitors are highly experienced in this area and often secure highly successful results for our clients. For example, in cases such as that above, we save our clients' licenses and ensure that they are able to keep driving and save their job. If you have been charged with a road traffic offence or think that you might be, our road traffic solicitors are available 24/7 to give you legal advice.

Road Traffic Act 1988, Section 172

There are very few times when you will be required by law to answer questions asked by the police. The most common are when you are asked about your name, date of birth, and address. However, there is another time when this is the case that most people are unaware of, namely when the police ask you who was driving your car at a given time. It seems quite innocuous to many, however it is a criminal offence to refuse to answer this question or to answer it untruthfully. The most common situations wherein this question will be asked is if the car has been caught speeding by a speed camera or stationed police officers, if someone has been seen driving with a mobile in the car, or if someone has reported the car as having been driving carelessly or suspiciously. In these and all other cases, always answer the question when asked who was driving the car.